You know what I’m talking about. Many of us are surprised when we learn that a professional builder can’t quite finish his own house project, or when a doctor smokes despite the universal knowledge that it’s damaging to your health.
Sadly, I’ve fallen into the same boat. For years, I’ve helped clients build a strong online and social media presence. By employing best practices, working hard and keeping up with a quickly-changing technological landscape, growing businesses through strategic marketing became second nature. So it came as a big surprise when I realized my own social media needed a lot of help!
One of the reasons I chose the name Marketing Kangaroo is that kangaroos are excellent at propelling forward. They can achieve speeds up to 44 mph! The businesses of today need to think and move quickly to keep their audience engaged. So it was time to stop dragging my feet and take some of my own best advice:
- Tell a story- even beyond the overall story of your brand, each communication medium you use should have a very specific strategy for the nature of the content you’re sharing and when you’re sharing it sharing.
- Know who you are and what you do- the modern version of the elevator pitch has a much shorter character limit. Your window to catch your audience’s attention is brief, so each message needs to be interesting, effective and on-brand.
- Invite them in – Give users a behind-the-scenes look at your manufacturing process or company retreat. Let them be part of the club! Social media has an extremely wide reach and provides a unique opportunity to share a lot about your organization. It’s instant and up-to-date, so you can build a relationship in real time while simultaneously giving your customers the information they need.
- Know when to ask for help- as Chief Marketing Roo, I am very passionate about what I do. But I knew I needed help and didn’t hesitate to reach out to my fellow ‘Roos for strategic support.
- Track your progress- whether you’re running a targeted campaign or reviewing your overall metrics, you need a method for confirming what works and what doesn’t.
- Know what’s trending – this doesn’t just apply to actual content (although who doesn’t love a funny cat video or Charlie after the dentist). It’s also imperative to know the new methods that social media audiences are interacting with, like live video or social-to-ecommerce capabilities.
- Don’t be afraid to have fun with it, and always be genuine- some of the world’s top brands garner even more fans by engaging with their audience in a playful way. But no matter how you choose to connect with your customers, it’s absolutely essential to be authentic in your voice.
It’s never too late to start taking the right steps towards growing your audience and building your brand. We’re so excited to start sharing our story and connecting with others. You can easily stay updated by following us on Facebook or Twitter, or by searching our hashtag #MarketingKangaroo to see just what we’re up to!
Contact Us | Follow Us: Facebook – Twitter – Instagram